The gothic, five-storey, brick tower was built in 1750 by Lord of Horton Manor, Humphrey Sturt, who was an architect and a Dorset MP.
The reason for its construction is not known but it’s possible Sturt planned to use it as an observatory for stargazing. It’s now a Grade II* Listed Building.
At 43 metres high (140 feet) it was once claimed to be the tallest no-religious building in Britain.
Visitors used to be able to enter the tower and look up to the top, as the floors had fallen away.
Follow us on