Dani Blackie plans to run between 60 and 62 miles, which she anticipates could take up to 15 hours per day during the challenge. Dani hopes to be the first solo female to complete the full 630 miles, and is aiming to beat the current record of 10 days, 12 hours and six minutes, currently held by Kristian Morgan.
Dani is also hoping to raise much-needed funds for her chosen charities. She plans to donate 80 per cent of any money raised to Save Me Trust, which works to protect wildlife and habitats, and the remaining 20 per cent to the South West Coast Path Association, which manages and maintains the path.
To prepare for her challenge, Dani has been following a training plan covering both her physical and nutritional needs. She is an experienced runner, and completed her 100th marathon in 2019 when she took part in the Jurassic Coast Challenge. In January this year, she completed 10 virtual marathons in 10 days as part of her preparation.
The record attempt has already been moved from a March start to accommodate the Covid-19 lockdown restrictions, and now Dani is keen to get going.
She said, “An attempt to break the South West Coast Path record has been on my radar for a while. It seemed like the right focus for me during the pandemic – a good way to prevent inertia. I hope to raise some money for my charities too, as they need all the help they can get at this time.”
Dani will begin her challenge on 14 April. It will be self-supported, but she will have some running buddies along the way to help keep her motivated.
To follow her along the way, or to donate, go to: https://swcoastchallenge.wixsite.com/home
Please share post:
Follow us on