Dorset Council has been awarded up to £922,153 from the government to support children and families across the county. Some of the money will be used to provide food vouchers to those who need it, including those who receive free school meals, during the Christmas holidays and February half term. Eligible families will receive details of this scheme direct from their school.
Further help will be available to support families facing fuel poverty this winter. More details will be available soon.
Dorset Council Portfolio Holder for Children, Education and Early Help, Cllr Andrew Parry, said, “I am very pleased we have been able to secure this money so we can support children and families in Dorset this winter. This money will be used to prevent food hunger and provide help with other essentials, such as heating.
“These are difficult times and helping our most vulnerable families, who have been hard-hit by the pandemic, is vital. We are working hard with schools and our partner agencies across Dorset to target help where it is needed most.”
While 80 per cent of the winter grant funds has been allocated to help vulnerable families, the remaining 20 per cent will either be used to support other vulnerable residents across the area or will also be spent supporting families.
Information about how to apply for free school meals is available here: https://www.dorsetcouncil.gov.uk/education-and-training/schools-and-learning/at-school/free-school-meals.aspx
Families can also pick-up free coats and pyjamas until 20 December, details are available here: dorsetcouncil.gov.uk/coats-and-pjs-for-kids
Support for all residents, including information about accessing food, financial support and help with isolation is available here: https://news.dorsetcouncil.gov.uk/2020/12/03/winter-help-and-support/
Please share post:
Follow us on