Hopefully you’ve been able to catch our monthly columns in the Dorset View and Viewpoint over these last few months, but for those who haven’t – hi, I’m Cat, I look after all the communications for Diverse Abilities, Dorset’s disability charity.
We’re thrilled to be Pulford Publicity’s Charity of the Year for 2021, the support means so much! A quick overview of us to get you up to speed:
- We are Dorset’s disability charity, the only organisation in the county supporting children and adults with profound physical and learning disabilities, and their families too.
- Our services include a specialist school, respite care for children and adults, 24/7 care in the home, school holiday play sessions for families, an Advice Team, and so much more.
- We have managed to run pretty much all of these in one form or another throughout the pandemic to continue our support.
- Each year we provide in excess of 250,000 hours of care, costing us around £19,000 per day.
- For every £1 donated, 88p goes back into running our vital services.
It’s fair to say that the past year has been so tough for all of us, so we’re really looking forward to being able to see all our glorious supporters and volunteers again out and about in the real world as we can finally start fundraising in person once more – by the time we get to the Dorset Neon Run our last event would be almost 18 months ago!
Which leads me on to tell you all about things like Dorset Neon Run and all the wonderful ways in which you can get involved and support our cause.
First up, Dorset Neon Run, join us in Poole Park on Saturday 22 May in all your colourful neon finery and bring your mates for a 5k fun run – a great way to celebrate all that lockdown exercise you’ve been doing (and if you start Couch to 5K now, you’ll be ready for it!). It’s also a good excuse to get together with your friends, all for a good cause. Head to dorsetneonrun.com and join the fun.
Everything else can be found at diverseabilities.org.uk – you’ll see a link at the top saying ‘Get Involved’ and this shows many, many things including:
- Dorset 3 Peaks – a trek across the Wessex Ridgeway on the 19 June, you’ll be in good company too as brothers Ben and Louis Pulford – the managing director and creative director from Pulford Publicity – will be along for the hike!
- #GrowTogether – send seeds of hope out into the community and spread hope, happiness, and colour with sweet peas and dwarf sunflowers for the loved ones you can’t see just yet.
- London Marathon and Run Bournemouth – we’ve got one space left for someone looking to take on London Marathon, and don’t forget the local option too. You can also fundraise for us at other events too, I’ll be taking on Southampton Marathon this September.
- Do Your Own Thing – this May we’re all about people being creative and thinking up new ways to fundraise. Whether you’re a keen baker, maker, or photo taker, or want to take on a challenge or a new skill, you can literally do anything that takes your fancy and turn it into a fundraiser. We’re really looking forward to seeing what people come up with.
- That’s just a snapshot of what we’re up to – I’ve got all year to keep you up to date – can’t spill all the beans just yet!
For now, take care, and speak soon.
Please share post:
Follow us on