- Hedgehog highways: link your garden together with 13cm gaps in your boundary fences to allow hedgehogs access to as many gardens as possible.
- Wild corner: leave a patch of your garden wild and undisturbed. It will provide nesting materials and insect prey for hedgehogs.
- Food and water: meaty cat or dog food will supplement a hedgehog’s natural diet. Make sure the water dish is shallow.
- Hedgehog home: a log pile or structured hedgehog house will encourage hedgehogs to nest.
- Pond safe: ensure ponds with steep sides have an escape ramp to avoid trapping the hedgehog.
- Remove litter: dispose of litter and tie up loose garden netting to prevent hedgehogs getting tangled or trapped.
- No chemicals: lawn treatments and slug pellets reduce invertebrate numbers, go organic for hedgehogs.
- Check before strimming or mowing: check carefully to prevent nasty accidents.
- Bonfires: build or move a bonfire on the day of burning to make sure there are no hidden hedgehogs inside.
- Spread the word: become a Hedgehog Champion with Hedgehog Street and help raise awareness with friends, family, and on social media.
Please share post:
Follow us on