While work to widen the road is due to start later in the year, other activities linked to the improvements are already taking place.
Works to improve access for pedestrians and cyclists to complement the improvements started in mid-February. Access to the A31 from West Street will be closed permanently, to improve safety, with effect from 1 March. To minimise disruption, other work planned for West Street will be taking place at the same time. This includes:
- widening the footpath along the west side of West Street to improve accessibility for cyclists and walkers
- new kerbs and environmental planting
- building a new footpath over the ‘brick bridge’
- widening the footpath over the ‘old Stony’
- resurfacing both bridges
- laying new electrical cable along the length of West Street in advance of the A31 works
- introducing new priority give way signs at both bridges to accompany the new and improved footpaths over them
A water main will also need to be diverted ahead of the work starting on the A31. More information about this will be available shortly.
The work in West Street is scheduled to finish by the end of July 2021.
For more information about the scheme, visit www.highwaysengland.co.uk/a31ringwood.
Please share post:
Follow us on