Dorset and Wiltshire Fire Service has issued a warning following a fire in Ferndown on Saturday 26 November.
At 1.24pm, firefighters from Ferndown and Redhill Park were called to reports of a property fire in Pickard Road. On arrival, crews found a small fire in the kitchen involving a pan of hot oil. Firefighters extinguished the fire and provided first aid to the elderly occupant, before ambulance service colleagues arrived.
Station manager Chris Wood, who attended the incident, said: “Firefighters arrived at this incident within six minutes and did a great job in preventing the fire spreading further. We do not advise residents to use chip pans but realise they can’t always be avoided. If you have to use a chip pan, please never leave it unattended. If the oil or fat within the pan starts to smoke, turn off the heat and leave it to cool. You should never put food into a pan when the oil is smoking.
“If your pan does catch fire, do not try to move it and never throw water over the pan. If you can, turn the heat off, leave the room and property and call 999.”
Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service (DWFRS) urges people to ensure they have working smoke detection in their homes. There should be a working smoke alarm on every level of your home, which is tested weekly. More information on chip pans and smoke alarms can be found on the DWFRS website – www.dwfire.org.uk
Please share post:
Follow us on