Personal assistants and unpaid carers will be able to get free PPE until March next year as Dorset Council extends the scheme.
First introduced in February the scheme was expected to last until 30 June.
You can apply for free PPE from Dorset Council if you are:
- An extra-resident unpaid carer, meaning that you do not live with the person you care for
- A co-resident unpaid carer, meaning that you live with the person you care for
- An unpaid carer and you are caring for a clinically vulnerable person
- You’re directly employed by an individual (or self-employed) to provide care and support to enable them to live as independently as possible
- You provide care that requires you to come within two metres of an adult over the age of 18 who you support – this care could include support in the home, or to go out into the community
The free personal protective equipment for unpaid carers and personal assistants includes: visors, aprons, IIR masks, sanitiser and non-latex gloves
You are not restricted to one order of free PPE. You are entitled to request more items as and when you run low on supplies.
Free PPE can be requested online, alternatively, you can call Dorset Together helpline on 01305 221000.
Cllr Simon Gibson, lead member for Care at Dorset Council said: “It’s really good news that the provision of free PPE for personal assistants and unpaid carers has been extended until March 2022.
“Carers and personal assistants do a fantastic job supporting some of the most vulnerable people in Dorset through what continues to be a really challenging time.
“I’m pleased this provision will remain in place so they can continue to protect themselves, those they care for, and others they come into contact with as they go about their caring duties.”
Carer Support Dorset is the first point of contact for advice and support to unpaid carers of all ages across the Dorset Council area. Their aim is to create carer-friendly communities where carers are recognised, valued, and supported. Contact them on freephone 0800 368 8349, or view their website www.carersupportdorset.co.uk.
Please share post:
Follow us on